UPDATE: Please note that submissions are now closed for the 2021 festival season.
Planet in Focus is celebrating it’s 22nd anniversary as Canada’s leading environmental film organization, showcasing and promoting outstanding films with environmental messaging in all genres by Canadian and international filmmakers.
Only films completed after January 1st, 2020 will be considered for official selection. Film and new media submissions include stories and explorations of urban and rural spaces; wildlife; social, cultural and political environments; farming; Aboriginal perspectives; health and environment; climate change; human displacement; war; globalization; water; farming; forests; food security and more. All styles and genres are welcome, including but not limited to documentaries, dramatic, experimental, short films, animation, youth and educational. All foreign language films must have English subtitles.
Planet in Focus also produces a variety of educational programs for students across Canada. Youth related and educational programming is a major focus of our mandate. Please submit all age and curriculum ranges of student-focused films for consideration for the festival and year round educational programming.
ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY
1) Submitted films must not have been broadcast, distributed, offered on VOD or screened commercially in the Toronto area. PIF will consider short films that have been made available online.
2) Only films completed after January 1st, 2020 will be considered for official selection
3) All foreign language films must have English subtitles
Accepted films for the Festival will be exhibited on CineSend digital platform, geo-blocked to Canada. The dates, times, and locations of screenings of selected films are at the discretion of the festival. Complete source file requirements/upload specifications to our CineSend streaming platform will be sent to selected applicants. Filmmakers should be available to prerecord one Q&A session and/or panel discussion scheduled in the month of September.
In the event of in-person events, selected applicants must provide a DCP format of their film or video work. In some cases, filmmakers may be required to provide a high quality Pro Res file for exhibition.
Participation in the Planet in Focus Environmental Film Festival (PIF) implies understanding and acceptance of these regulations:
1) PIF is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
2) The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
3) The submitter shall indemnify and hold harmless PIF from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
ADDITIONAL SCREENING TERMS
All submissions, despite selection will be considered for the Planet in Focus Foundation Educational Tours. Applicants will be contacted if a film is selected for a school tour or screening between the months of January to June following the festival season.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or concerns regarding any of the aforementioned rules and regulations.
Early Bird – March 12, 2021
General – April 23, 2021
Final Deadline – June 11, 2021
For a full list of fees including NEW Gold Member pricing, visit: